Thursday, December 18, 2008

On motivation

I recently received an essay musing on the things that motivate humans. I can't pull it up right now, but the essay gives 10 single-word distillations of things that get us up in the morning, give us purpose and energy. People are motivated by about two or three of them, generally, it varies person to person, but usually there is a top motivator.
Here are some:
Communion
Expression
Exchange
Expansion
Security
Acceptance
Power
Freedom
Adventure

I think what's missing are some negative motivators. For instance, there is the powerful need for some to be pitied or felt-sorry for. I wonder if self-pity is learned or taught? Children, I think, scrape their knee, cry or pout and move on with their day. But adults tend to scrape their knee (figuratively or literally) and add that to their long list of injuries, go into work with a sigh and say "Sigh. Guess what happened to me." It becomes cumulative, a story, a psychological burden they choose to carry, whereas children, perhaps because they are so present, don't accumulate as much. Enviable.

It seems counterintuitive to think that such a thing could actually motivate or give energy, but I don't know, I think it does. I'll post the essay soon.

Update: And perhaps this need is just a perversion of Acceptance? Or Expression?

No comments: