Friday, December 12, 2008

Ass-hole police officers in Houston, ass-hole Indians in Chicago, I heart Glenn Greenwald

An infuriating story about a Sikh family reporting a burglary in Houston and then roughed up by police and peppered with questions related to terrorism. With the visually distinctive turban and beard, they've been harassed more than most minority groups since Sept. 11 (and no doubt before that.)

The video is good except for the moderator whose delivery is annoying. Nonetheless mad points for such quick turnover. This is where video matters. I hope they jail these fuckers. Can you imagine being twice violated: once from an unknown party and the other time from the people who you not only invited into your home, but who are sworn to protect you?

I'm thinking the desi community down there is big enough to open up a can of whoopass on the Houston police department in the form of protests, and in-your-face accountability. I find it hard to believe these events are spurred by the psychology of rogue individuals. More likely, this type of behavior is institutional.


In other stories, Indians elsewhere fucking shit up. Way to bring down the Jackson family. The gall of these men is unbelievable, but again, you've got to imagine the human in them: they've had to have existed in an environment friendly to this sort of thing.

I know I've gone all-India all the time here, I'm not sure why. I'll try to throw some Bali or Luxembourg in the mix soon.

I have an inappropriate crush on Glenn Greenwald. He's at 02:44 into the clip about closing Gitmo. I wish he wasn't gay. I'm sure he doesn't wish that at all. End.

No comments: