Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pancakes for Dinner and Other Shocking Revelations

Porcupine's Big Central American Tour: Numero Uno.
Xela, June 14-- Pancakes for dinner: An earth-is-round, metal-birds-can-hurtle-through-space, debilitatingly wonderful and obvious phenomenon. Why had I never heard of such a thing? What other wonderful secrets has the world yet to show me?
Just asked the Internet cafe guy, in Spanish, what the cafe's schedule was. Either my Spanish is off, or I am brutally hot or possibly-- likely-- both: "The cafe's schedule," he said with a significant pause, "Or my schedule?" I am, clearly, a love magnet.
As part of organized activity, went salsa dancing with my classmate, a 21-year-old male, 6-foot-5, cheerleader junior at Penn State who resembles the blond-haired guy from Blue Lagoon. We play ping-pong during school breaks. Super nice guy. Unfortunately, feel only maternally for the little tyke.
Anyway, our salsa teacher had massive cleavage, which I found intimidating during our lessons. The cheerleader found it distracting for different reasons. But she was a very nice lady. I am a natural salsa dancer and feel a bit like I am amazing, wonderful and enchanting at everything I do.
Lots of firecrackers going off in celebration of a Catholic holiday. Scaring the pants off of me regularly. Clouds over mountains make my eyes water, they are so pretty. Vertically sloped farms do the same.
But the highlight so far is that I have an awesome, patient and wonderful Spanish teacher named Yessica, who rivals my previous awesome teacher, Carla. In between lessons we have long conversations about our lives all in Spanish. She works three jobs, makes 80 American dollars a week, and lives in a small town outside of Xela. She is absolutely amazing. She told me I was her favorite student. Of course, I prompted the compliment by asking, "Am I your favorite student, ever, Yessica?" She said yes, then went on to list all the reasons why. But she didn´t have to go into such detail, so there, my worth is proved.
Anyway, our conversations are how I'm learning the most, I suspect. Not just about the language but about other stuff, like pancake dinners. It's a big world.
Much love to you all,
Porcupine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm officially yealous of your experience. Please take lots of pictures, especially of the hot cheerleader and the cleavage -- two of my favorite things! :-)