Monday, September 11, 2006

The vehicle emissions guy handed me a slip of paper, explained stoically that my car had failed the test, and pointed me to a nearby administrative office. There, I found a man with long gray hair, an earring and wide, striking blue eyes sitting behind a desk. He welcomed me and proceeded to do what he has done about a zillion times: He smiled sympathetically, gave me paperwork, explained what steps I needed to take to pass the next time. There was little or no small talk, but he was friendly and about as Zen a civil servant as I have ever come across. Then he noticed I had paid a $35 late fee. He asked me, gravely, what had accounted for this. He sounded like my father. I said I was a flake and had waited too long to get the emissions test done. He told me to wait a minute, looked on the Internet, and printed out a form-- a waiver that he said I should fill out immediately to get my $35 back. "The state doesn't need the money," he said, "poor people do." Nice sentiment, except for the fact that I am not poor, I thought. So he waved me off and that was that. He does this with everybody, I know. He interacts with the world two minutes at a time and with a calm, rare generosity. Nothing terribly remarkable, I guess, except for how good it made me feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Thanks for noticing that guy. I'd bet not too many people do.

Anonymous said...

I had to work at a convention this weekend, and part of the show included a job fair. A lady came up to me asking about jobs, and I directed her to the recruiting area (I was working in a booth promoting a health partnership -- the Recruiting Pavilion was six rows away from me).

I talked to her for a minute. Turns out she's a neighbor (kind of -- she lives near the next station up the Green Line from me). She told me times were tight; I gave her a phone number she could call if she had trouble paying for her medication.

She walked away, then turned, and with a mostly toothless smile, she said, "You know, you're the only nice person I've come across today. You've got a really good attitude."

"A good attitude is the only thing I've got that's really mine," I told her. She winked and went on her way.

It doesn't take much to change the world. If everyone did it, can you imagine?